Friday, July 25, 2014

Chatpata Green Chutney


Well,I like this green chutney for it tastes really chatpata and has a shelf life of one week when stored in fridge. Also it has multipurpose use in my kitchen. I used to love the sandwiches with green chutney which one of classmate bought for lunch at college. When asked for the recipe , she told me roughly that it has mint, coriander leaves, green chillies, onion and lemon juice.

A few years later, when I tried this at home, it was a real flop as it had some bitterness and no one liked it. So I dropped the idea of making these chutney sandwiches at home and ate it outside at food joints.

Few months ago, a neighbor of mine told that the chutney has more of coriander and only a few leaves of mint and then it striked me that I added more mint and less coriander when I tried for the first time. I had finally found the reason for its bitterness and raw taste. Once i corrected my ingredients the green chutney came awesome and everyone liked it a lot. Now, I make it often and store in the refrigerator. It is easy to prepare too. 

I make green chutney sandwiches. I also use this chutney as a side dish for idli or as a dip for chaat items (like cutlets,samosa, bhelpuri etc.) I also make instant coriander rice out of it. A spoon of this chutney when added to the white vegetable kurma also tastes heavenly. Here goes the recipe for my green chutney. Soon in the following week I will post how this green chutney can be used for lot of recipes mentioned above. 

Preparation time:5 mins
serves:2

Ingredients:
Fresh coriander leaves-1 small bunch
Green Chillies-3(my green chillies were super hot so i added 3,increase or decrease based on your need and chilli's heat)
Mint leaves-10 to 12 leaves
Tamarind -1 small gooseberry sized ball
Jaggery-1/2 tsp
Salt-to taste

Procedure:
1.Clean the fresh coriander and mint leaves and grind all the above mentioned ingredients in to a fine paste.
2.Store it in an air tight container and refrigerate for up to 5-7 days and use as needed.
3.Always use a clean and dry spoon to take the chutney.Otherwise the shelf life will be less.
4.Have it in a veg sandwich or as a dip or as a side dish for Idli/Dosa.






No comments:

Post a Comment