Thursday, November 27, 2014

Palak Poori(Spinach Poori)



Poori remains as a favorite food for most of the Indians.unfortunately it is not for me.even in my childhood days when my mom used to make pooris every weekend I would go and cajole her to make chappathis for me instead of poori and I used to have chappathis with potato masal.Few times my mom refused to make chappathis and I hardly eat 2 pooris to fill my tummy.

After marriage , I still had to make pooris as its my hubby's favorite breakfast and he likes to have pooris with masal and coconut chutney .In spite of hating pooris I always end up making them for my folks.From last year, my hubby was on a weight reduction mode and thank god he avoided pooris and these days I make it once or twice a month or if there is any special occasion .One such occasion came last week ,it was my brother s birthday and he too liked poori.The only difference was I wanted to add some healthy element to this calorie ladded dish and ended up making palak pooris.It came out well and everyone(except me!) relished it a lot.It goes well with potato masal or channa masala.




Preparation time:20 mins
Makes:16-18 medium size pooris

Ingredients :

Spinach/palak-1/2 bunch
Whole wheat flour-1.5 cups
Ajwain/omam-1 tsp
Green chillies-1 (optional)
Salt-to taste
Water -to knead
Oil-to deep fry

Procedure:

1.Wash the spinach leaves and sauté them on a pan in low heat.


2.Add the ajwain or  Omam and green chillies to the spinach and grind them to a paste .


3.Add this paste to the wheat flour along with salt and knead them to a soft dough by adding water little by little.The poori dough need not too soft or kneaded for a long time like chappathi dough.Also make pooris immediately after you knead so that it doesn't  absorb too much oil after frying.


4.Make small balls out of the dough and roll them out into pooris uniformly .You can also use any round shaped lid and press it on them to get perfect round pooris.


5.Heat oil in a wok and deep fry the pooris till they puff up and gets cooked .Make sure you fry all the pooris in medium flame through out .


6.Drain them on a kitchen tissue and serve hot with potato masal or channa masala.


Tips:

*You can add 2 tbsp of soaked rava or semolina(in a tbsp of water) to the dough before kneading so that the pooris remain puffed up even after taken off from oil and cooled down.
*Make sure the oil is at the correct temperature before frying the pooris.

3 comments: